Canon Pyon Parish: Canon Pyon Church and Westhope Chapel
Information on St Lawrence, Canon Pyon can be obtained at: St Lawrence Church
King’s Pyon Parish: King’s Pyon Church and Ledgemoor Chapel
St Mary’s Church, King’s Pyon, dates back before the Norman era, and is listed in the Domesday Book of 1086. The inside of the roof of the nave and south transept date from the 14th century and have a magnificent two tiered structure of black trefoiled headed wind-braces to each slope, in sharp contrast to the whitewashed ceiling. In the south transept there is an historic effigy of a knight and lady, and two beautiful memorial windows installed by the King family about a 100 years ago. There is also an intricately carved Victorian altar screen at the east end of the church, and another in the west end behind the elaborate Victorian font, all in memory of former family members of the congregation as well as numerous memorial plaques and windows which trace the history of the principal families and benefactors of the church over the years. A carved panelled pulpit and a readers lectern sit either side of the chancel.
The Victorian addition of the north transept has recently been refurbished to serve as a communal area and incorporates a discreet kitchenette, cupboards and book shelves. The original Norman font of the church is displayed under the memorial window. This area is especially important to the community in the absence of a village hall within Kings Pyon itself, and will be put to further good use for bring and buy sales, talks, concerts, exhibitions, christenings and other gatherings, and to serve as a local library with book sales.
The recent restoration project of the church was finished at the end of 2017 and also addressed the need for urgent repairs noted in the last Quinquennial Report. The project was principally funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund and donations from other charitable organisations. Restoration included the repointing of the external walls of the chancel and north and south transepts of the church, the relining of the organ roof above the vestry, renewal of the guttering, and the restoration of the mullioned window in the south transept.
The square tower dates from the 14th century, in which hang five bells from the early 17th century, and which are rung frequently by enthusiastic campanologists. The tower incorporates a two faced clock, which chimes the hour, and was installed in 1872.
The most recent restoration followed two previous projects, over the last 10 years or so, to restore the tower, and to “Save the Nave” and roof of the church.
Further information can be obtained at: